Pose of The Month: Forward Fold on a Chair (April)
It's a new month, we have new goals and intentions and probably a whole new workload that needs to be attended to. No matter where or what kind of work you do, most of us spend a good portion of our days sitting on chair. This month's pose is perfect little way to rejuvenate your nervous system and ease tension from your back, neck and shoulders. . The Forward Fold on a chair variation, is a really good on-the-go pose you can do anywhere. Try it the next time you find yourself slumped over your keyboard.
- Sit on a sturdy chair or bed
- Place your feet at least hips width apart, wider if you need more room
- Hinge at your hips and fold forward over your legs
- This pose can be done a work so no need to roll out a mat.
- The Forward Fold pose stretches the entire back side of the body.
- Lengthens the spine and releases tension from the neck and shoulders.
- Increases circulation to the pelvic organs.
- Soothes the nervous system and encourages introspection
- Boosts energy and helps to increase mental focus.
Modifications to try:
- If you find the pose is too much, you can place a cushion or a rolled towel on your belly before folding forward.
- You can also clasp your hands at the base of you skull to give you better support.
This pose is perfect at any time of the day to bring awareness and length back to your spine. Try this pose out this week and let us know if you love it!