Pose of The Month: Child's Pose (June)
We have officially made it to the end of the first half of this year, give yourself a pat on the back! After working so hard, it's only natural that a moment of rest follows. This month's pose is a true resting pose. Child's Pose not only stretches your hips and the spine, it's also a chance to stop what you're doing, reassess your position, reconnect with your breath and intention and prepare yourself to move forward.
Child's Pose Step-by-step:
- Place your hips on your heels, with your forehead to the mat.
- Place your hands in front of you with your palms face down or back by your hips with your palms facing up.
- Release your toes so that the top of your feet are on the floor.
- you can place your knees together or apart, with your arms resting on the mat.
- Allow gravity to take your body deeper into pose.
- Gently stretches the hips, thighs and ankles.
- Relieves back and neck pain when done with the head and torso supported.
- Improves blood circulation and slows down heart rate.
- Calms the nervous system and helps to relieve stress and fatigue.
- Creates full body rest.
Modifications to try:
- If you have difficulty sitting on your heels in this pose, place a thickly folded blanket between your back thighs and calves.
If you are looking to cultivate a better relationship with resting in your life, Child's Pose is one pose to incorporate into your daily life. Try it and let us know what you think!