Pose of The Month: Chair Pose (August)
The pose of this month is Chair Pose (Utkatasana) also translated as 'Fierce Pose' or 'Awkward Pose'. If you've ever tried Chair pose, you can attest to the fact that is a little bit of both. As you sit in this imaginary chair, your muscles seeks to stabilize your body and this can lends to a sense of stability and strength in your being as well. This pose stimulates the abdominal organs, diaphragm, and heart which provides the extra power for your body to work its magic.
Chair pose STEP-BY-STEP:
- Place your feet hips-width apart, toes forward (feet parallel)
- Keeping your spine neutral, place your hands on your hips and start to hinge them back
- Slowly start to sit your hips back and down like you’re sitting in a chair
- Make sure you can see your toes peeking out past your knees.
- Keep your knees hips-width apart
- Keep your upper body lifted and your gaze forward
- Lift your arms up in line with your ears, hands shoulder-width apart, palms facing one another, pinky fingers rotated inward, fingers spread
- Release your shoulders down away from your ears.
- Hug belly button in towards your spine, engaging your core to support your lower back.
- This pose strengthens your core, thighs, ankles, calves and spine.
- It stretches your shoulders and chest
- Stimulates the abdominal organs, diaphragm, and heart
- Daily practice gives you a sense of stability not only in the body, but the mind as well.
- Can be used to help with flat feet
Modifications to try:
- Improve your leg alignment, while strengthening your thighs and core, by squeezing a block or thick book between your ties
- Sit less deeply
- Place arms parallel to floor, instead of overhead.
August is here, meaning summer is almost over and it’s back to school or work for some of us; you’ll need all the energy you can get! Get your blood circulating, heart pumping and build some strength & stamina with this months pose. Try it and let us know!